Friday, January 1, 2010

High Five



The hand with it's five fingers spread is used in many cultures. In ancient Native American culture it was perhaps used in rituals for preparing for war. In Arabic and Jewish cultures it is said to ward of the 'evil eye' and is often found with an eye in the middle of the palm. It's sometimes called 'the hand of Fatima' after prophet Muhamed's daughter, or 'Khamsa' meaning five.

Evidence of it's use as a symbol to ward of evil can be found all over Libya. As a simple palm print on a wall like the one in the photo, or in more elaborate, stylized charms and emblems. On houses, vehicles, and in businesses as well as on keychains and jewelry, khamsa abound in Libya and north Africa and the Middle East.

In modern times the palm has meaning too. People often greet one another by slapping an upraised palm against that of another person, called 'high five'. It's also used as a gesture of congratulations, elation or victory. A modern gesture that has spread throughout the world.

I greet you... High Five!


5 comments:

Anonymous January 1, 2010 at 5:10 PM  

Good start hopefully for happy new year.

bumedian January 1, 2010 at 5:47 PM  

salam

wish you the best of all times

congrats... for the new step... of this blog

thank you

My life my story January 1, 2010 at 7:06 PM  

I like this blog :)

Garry Nixon January 2, 2010 at 3:08 AM  

Have a good 2010. I didn't know that about the hand prints in Libya.

me January 2, 2010 at 3:10 AM  

you are really an active woman...i love this

Contributors

About This Blog

A photoblog... a picture a day... maybe... It all depends on whether my kids leave my battery supply alone and the internet connection, not to mention my level of motivation.

Or I can simply say:
'A picture a day, insha'allah!'

~ Click on images for a larger view

Followers

Back to TOP